Wednesday 26 October 2011

What can I do? at 50?

At 50 I can not come up with anything I want to do for a living!!!?

I am 50years old ,With a HS ed. I worked in the printing Industies all my life for large companys FUJI KODAK and went on to run my own small printing Bus. Well the printing has changed and most printers are now out of business and so am , thanks to changing tech %26amp; the internet. I went out and started my own Handyman Business two years ago and have did just ok (days pay at best) I am very board with being a handyman and find it a real step down. I went to find a new path that I can get a passion for like I did for printing. I am a smart guy but this one has me stumped!!!!!. I cant land a job and know I must work for my self if I have any Hope of making Money. What Can I do HELP !!!!!!!!

I am lookin for a passion in my work + I need some good incone for the next 10 years. I am so so Depressed!!!!!!
What can I do? at 50?
At your age and life experience real estate would be good, or an appraiser for homes.....or what about becoming a loan office.....all of these careers only take a little training....good luck.
What can I do? at 50?
It is very difficult for anyone else to come up with something you can be passionate about as we do not know much about your background and nothing about your interests. Since you were into printing maybe do specialty printing on T-shirts and hats? The handyman stuff could lead to a position with Lowe's or Home Depot - at least in the interim as I doubt you are independently wealthy. If you have enough funds then go back to school and get certified to teach in a tech school.
Wow sounds like my life story I to have always been a printer but last x-mass I shattered both my heals and I just am sick of were the printing business is going, but I asked god to help find me a place crazy but it worked he landed me a job in a high security printing company paying well enough to get me and my family by, I cant tell you what to do but I really do feel for you dont get to depressed cause Ive been there and it just makes it worst put on Mr posotive face and just keep looking and trying to figure out what you need to do. When life throws you curv balls just make the best of it you can find what you need sounds to me more like you would be a great manager for a company just find what it is your looking for and go for it! I know printers see all types of business in fact I think we are one of the fields that knows to much about all types so just look for one that interests you bud and hang in there good luck my friend!
I did this before I was 50 and I still not 50. I like to tell stories as it more personal.

When I was 12 I mowed yards around my house in town. $3 a yard with a push mower, that the going rate then. I worked as a Mechanic, Accountant, and Electronic Tech. Years later moved back home and was not working, but, my wife did. I was thinking one day what I might do for myself. Looked out the window and there the riding lawnmower sit and I thought, I have a weed-eater too. Started mowing yards for locals, about $30-40 depending on the lot size. Word of mouth, I get more the next year and a lady ask if I could thin out the Iris Flowers from a flower bed. I did this and then word of mouth elderly ladies wanted me to do the flower beds. Then a lady show where city hall take bids for mowing and I bid and get that and then it Snow Balled. Got some magnetic signs for my truck and more and more work. Wife quit work to help and we hired Teenagers @ $8 an hour when we needed them and in 3 years we was making money and turning away business. Had Banks, Gas Stations, Schools on a service contract. We buy equipment as needed. Heck, we had the saying; %26quot;We support competition, as a working man is not a thief%26quot; We helped others start their Landscaping Business and were doing OK. Low start up costs and plenty of help when we needed. Had to retire, it was crazy.
Don't worry. Trust the Universe. Just log on to %26quot;www.themoneyworkshop.com%26quot;.
Somebody once told me that there are a million ways to make money. As I drive to and from work each day, I can see that they are right. There are lots of trucks and minivans with business names on the sides that advertise lots of different kinds of businesses. There are lots of different shops offering a variety of services and products.



You need to figure out what you are passionate about before you figure out how to land a career there. I would suggest that you pick up the career book, What Color is My Parachutte. This helps you look at your career and identify the skillsets you have and your interests and passions. There are lots of exercises in there that can help you narrow down an industry or job that is right for you. Then come back with questions.



This is a knowledge-based economy. If you have the right skills and experience, regardless of age, you should be able to find a job. While I am sure that age discrimination does exist, our economy should be getting past that. I think that it was a larger issue years ago when so much of the economy was driven by manual labor (steel mills, quaries, building boats, etc...). Now much of this kind of work has been shifted overseas due to more appealing labor costs. Of course, there is always work that needs to be done here that cannot be offshored.



Good luck.
I understand exactly how you feel. I am 46 and in the same position now. I was working in the customer service industry for a few years. I was injured while at work and then got fired for it. I had no chance for a law suit because I was with my last employer for less than 3 months. I have been in pain from my injury since and I have no prospects right now. I am at the point that my wife wants me out because of my pain and grumpy moods. No meds or therapy benefit me. I wish I could offer you something but I am at a loss myself. I am unable to secure employment because of my age and injury. If you want to brainstorm, e-mail me.

GOOD LUCK!
About a week and a half ago I was in the same position as you. I read about people giving great kudos to a web site called BuyMyNoni.com.



I read what it was about and signed up and its been great so far. It does involve direct selling in the true form, it's not MLM like most of the offers I read here. What is really great is that it doesn't cost money to start out and they give you a web site.



I was intrigued why they didn't charge money like so many other opportunities on the Internet so I called them up to ask why it is free. Their answer was simple, normally you buy things that have a value that we are willing to pay for and since the value I put on the business was really up to me and what I do with the opportunity. That was probably the most honest response I have ever gotten from a company.



The product they sell is a health fruit juice drink that people are looking for at the price we sell it for so there is a demand for it. I recommend you take a few minutes and read how it works.
The same type of thing happened to me as a result of the .com bust. I found that because of my experience and contacts, I could consult with telecom companies but it's feast or famine. To take up the slack I found some good reputable affiliate programs online and started them. One of them is in the telecom industry, ( http://ld.net/bizop.cgi?page=bizop_home%26amp;鈥?/a> ) so, it keeps me in touch. The other one is in candies and gifts ( http://www.cajuncountrygifts.com/go.cgi?鈥?/a> ). They have both been around for a while.



Working in marketing, I watched as the printing industry suffered through the introduction of desk top publishing. Some good friends who were Typographers, etc. closed up shop. Perhaps, with your knowledge, taking an %26quot;if you can't lick 'em, join 'em%26quot; approach, you could find an affiliate program selling something that would actually help printers and other people in the industry. The RGB to CMYK translation problem still exists and art directors are still concerned about it. There are a number of articles online. There was a guy in Alabama who developed a set of algoritms that eliminated the problem and he was selling his software to VARs. I lost his name years ago. I can't even remember the preiminent group on the East coast who was invlved in testing things an writing about them, but they know about this guy.



Maybe you have some ideas about what the industry can do to remain competitive now that you've got some hind sight. You could put together seminars, write a book and sell it online, come up with some value added ideas that would help printers compete. There are still a lot of people who can't do desk top publishing. Maybe you could help printers transition to desk top publishing houses and web designers. They usually already have some of these capabilities.



Use your contacts as a springboard to get started.



I saw
My heart goes out to you.



My dad was a printer until he turned 54. They fired everyone over 50 in 1 day. No one could sue, we live in Georgia. Dad almost lost his home because of it. Too old to get hired, too young for Social security.



Anyway, here's the jobs he tried to get after the layoff:

Express Courier to the printing industry

Working at a sign shop (he had great layout skills!)

Chemical Sales to the printing industry



I hope this helps you even a little. I'll be praying for you.
Ur children should take care of u