Friday 7 October 2011

How can I safely setup a PC for public access?

I need to setup a PC in a business center of a hotel. I want to find an easy way to configure the system so that each customer who logs in can easily access the internet but when they logout the system automatically deletes all temporary files and cookies. I also want to prevent anyone from making changes to the drivers or settings in the computer. Is there an easy way to do this in XP or is there a software I can use? Thanks in advance...
How can I safely setup a PC for public access?
First set it up where their just one user is under %26quot;Guest%26quot; in the windows adminstration setting,%26quot;under user accounts%26quot; in the control panel you'll find that.



Guest's can't do nothing but access desktop icons and will have other limited usage. They won't be able to mess with the drivers or anything else leaving them with the option of just using the computer for what it's there for.



The temporary files and cookies however you can have your system cleared out if you modify the internet history setting on internet explorer to be kept there every %26quot;0%26quot; days.



You don't have to be a whiz to setup just one computer for Hotel guests to use in the lobby with restrictions, just follow what I said and it'll be easy. All you have to worry about is where you set the computer up, make sure its in an open environment (preferably infront of the check-in desk where hotel personnel can monitor the computer) to prevent physical vandalism of the computer.



The guy below doesn't know what he's talking about.. if he was certified he would easily tell you a possibly better alternative to what I mentioned. I've done computer co-operative education with certified computer techncians but I had a career change so i decided not to go into computer repairs since I don't want to work at a Circuit city... or some meanless computer repair centre. I'm a programmer now and one of my friends a computer technician and I myself can work on computer hardware aswell as troubleshoot and program so the guy below has next to nill experience. Try setting it up the way I mentioned, you won't go wrong.
How can I safely setup a PC for public access?
Well, without the help of God himself, it would be very diffucult to design and implement via an internet response. It also bears no guarantee.



My suggestion, if you are not an advanced or even certified user/technician would be to get ahold of one and bite the bullet on cost of labor.



***By the way, PLEASE don't listen to the person before me... Totally incorrect info!



%26quot;Split%26quot; A+ through MCSE (Microsoft Certified Sys. Eng.)



(Question: Is there no Systems/MIS/IT dept. at this hotel with a business center?)
Just curious - why not use Linux for this?



If you use XP Pro you can take advantage of the group policy manager (gpedit.msc) and that will help some. Take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu > and the kinks for more info.