Wednesday 26 October 2011

Is 'Please advise' grammatically correct, or is it 'Please advice'?

I've always used 'Please advise' in business communications, and I've noticed recently that MS Office products mark it as grammatically incorrect. The suggested change is from advise to advice.



'Please advice' just doesn't sound right to me. I've done some internet research, but couldn't seem to find a definitive answer...



Thanks in advance :)
Is 'Please advise' grammatically correct, or is it 'Please advice'?
think of it this way....an advisor is someone who gives advice. Advise is the verb, that is the act that you are requesting....%26quot;Please advise me%26quot;. Advice is the noun, that information that is given. You're doing it right, screw MS Office, that was created by computer geeks, not English majors.
Is 'Please advise' grammatically correct, or is it 'Please advice'?
%26quot;Please advise%26quot; may not be grammatically correct per se, but it is such a widely used and well known phrase in business and other areas that it is acceptable.
%26quot;Please give me your advice.%26quot;



OR



%26quot;Please advise me.%26quot;