Friday 7 October 2011

Help with strange internet access restrictions?

So, I've been dealing with having limited internet for some time now, but this is getting rediculous. There are times of the day, every day, when I simply have no internet access on my computer. (8AM - 5PM, and 12PM - 5AM) According to my dad, it's some company protocol; my dad's company apparently pays for the internet, and restricts when it can be accessed. And to some degree, I can believe that. (The 8AM-5PM 'business hours' thing makes some sense, in that way)

But it's really screwy. I recently purchased a laptop and built my own desktop both connecting to our wireless network, and my old computer connects through land-lines. Not only did both sets of computers (the wireless and landlines) have different schedules (The wireless ones didn't go out at night, but were still out during the day time), but my sisters laptop had a different schedule, even though she was connecting through the same exact wireless network that I was. (Her's stayed on through the daytime, but went out every night, unlike mine which did the opposite) And then, awhile later (I'd say a month and a half, though I was out of town for most of it), my wireless computers revert back to having the same schedule as the old computer, with no change to my sisters schedule.

Can anyone make some sense out of this nonsense? I don't think I changed any settings before my schedule switched back to a more restrictive one, I was messing around with an ad hoc network (one that I still can't get to go away...), but I don't know if that would have done it. Is it really possible for a company to not only control internet access, but restrict it from computer to computer? Would there be any way for me to fool that? To make it think that I'm a new computer again?
Help with strange internet access restrictions?
Hello Chess;



I don't mean to be strange but there is something very wrong with what you are saying. Why would it make sense to close a computer internet connection down -- unless the connection is being monitored? Consider that the whole idea of the internet is that the information is available any time.



As to your question -- the System Administrator is a little like God -- he can control pretty much any aspect of the system including hours of operation, access, and security. He can see every webpage and read every e-mail.



My advice is to check with the IT department to find out exactly what is going on.



Lets say that this is a real situation ... I would consider getting a real internet connection through the phone company.



Best of luck



Bill